Saturday 1 September 2007

Thanks/ One Potato. Two Potato. Three Potato. Four.

Hi,

Well firstly apologies for not updating my blog last week as you can probably tell there is a lot going on and this is why I'm posting this on a Saturday as I sit and attempt to get some work done before my holiday.

The last couple of weeks have seen loads of different things going on and if your visiting this site foe the first time and are looking forward to starting at Sheffield university then I'm Tom the Welfare Officer of the Union. Elected by you to represent you.

Over the last couple of weeks I've been focusing on my objectives for the year, which will appear on the website soon. One of them solely focuses on financial and employment issues students face. Most people have summer jobs to pay for university and increasingly there are loads of you working to pay your way. Well this year one my objectives is to work with University and the Advice Centre to inform students of their rights at work. From minimum pay, to holiday leave we all need to know our rights in the workplace. In the last couple of weeks I've been padding out this idea to work with the Careers Service, the Job-Shop and the money Advisors in the Advice Centre so that students are empowered employees.

I've also disappeared for a couple of days to Leeds in order to brush up on the new housing law in place. Basically it helps protects your deposit, you, and is there so that students don't get ripped off in houses. It was also a great way to meet other Welfare Officers from around the country and compare Sheffield Union to them. Trust me we are good! But we could be even better.....

As a team we've been planning for the year ahead over the last couple of weeks and there is still lots to be done in the run up to the 22nd September when everyone descends on Sheffield for Freshers 07. With all this planning a lot of people go unnoticed in the Union From people in Marketing, the Advice Centre, the Bars and the Entertainments and loads of other departments. All working incredibly hard. Some haven't even had a summer holiday! Personally I just wanted to say thank to you all for your hard work it's much appreciated. Without their support we couldn't do half the things we do.

Anyway I will leave you. Oh I bet your wondering why my title talks about potatos. Well, I went to another Nursery event this week and walked off with some Jacket Potatos. Thanks again to everyone at the Nursery for organising it and thanks for the goodie bag.

Tom

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

People should read this.